Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Cars of Italia

Around Rome I have seen a variety of cars, but the vast majority are either Smart Cars or Fiat 500s. In the United States people purchase these vehicles because they are environmentally friendly but here they are purchased out of pure necessity. No other car is as functional because no other car would be able to fit down the narrow streets of Central Rome. Many people also drive mopeds and small motorcycles so they can park almost anywhere and don't have to wait in regular traffic. I have seen only a few very exciting cars, such as a Lamborghini, which I honestly expected to see everywhere in Italy. But I am told they are more common in the north around Milan. And as nice as these Italian luxury cars are most people drive German sedans, such as BMW, Audi, and Mercedes Benz instead of their Italian competitor Alfa Romeo. I can not imagine having to drive around Rome, due to the driving style and location. But if I had to choose a car I would be among the Fiat 500s squeezing under Aqueducts and down the medieval alley ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment