Friday, February 3, 2012

Snow in Rome

I was greeted this morning to snow falling out the windows of my apartment, a very rare site in Rome. Although it snows in Rome once every few years it is fairly uncommon; the last two occasions of snow occurred in 2010 and in 2005. However this storm seems to be different. People are saying that today's snow fall is even more uncommon and is quickly becoming the largest accumulation of snow that Rome has seen in almost 30 years, with the last snowfall of any significance happening in February 1986. Despite the irregularity of winter weather, the people of Rome seemed to handle the unusual weather surprisingly well although many drivers seemed to have difficulty navigating the narrow streets without snow plows or salt. I'm glad I had a chance to get a taste of winter since I thought I had missed it entirely after New England's uncommonly warm early winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment